Negotiating a Child Arrangement Order following Divorce or Separation

At Tyrer Roxburgh, we understand that family matters can be emotionally challenging and complex, especially when it comes to children. Our team of dedicated family law solicitors are here to provide you with compassionate support and expert guidance during these sensitive times.

Our Approach

At the heart of our practice lies a deep commitment to empathy, understanding, and a firm belief in the importance of preserving the bond between parents and their children. We strive to create a nurturing environment where your concerns are heard and your voice is valued. Our family law solicitors will work closely with you to fully comprehend your unique situation, ensuring that we tailor our approach to meet your family’s specific needs.

Fixed Fee Family Law Consultation

We start proceedings with a free introductory call which enables you to outline your circumstances and for us to explain how we can help. Our team are friendly and approachable and are happy to answer your questions.

The next step is a fixed fee 1 hour consultation for £150 (plus VAT) which can be face to face at our office in London or remotely via telephone or video call. This time can be used to discuss any family law matter whether it be divorce, child arrangements, a financial settlement, cohabitee dispute, surrogacy or any other family related issue. During this initial consultation we will provide an overview of the relevant law and answer any questions that relate to your specific circumstances.

The fixed fee appointment is also a good opportunity to begin building a professional rapport with your lawyer. Family law matters are generally very personal and emotive and you need to know that your lawyer is someone who talks your language, someone who is on your side and is someone you can trust.

The consultation will be followed up with a detailed advice letter which will outline everything discussed during the call.

Other Family Law services Relating to Children

In addition to advice on Child Arrangement Orders our family law solicitors offer advice and guidance on all area of child law and family law. Our services include:

We pride ourselves on being friendly and approachable so if you need advice from one of our friendly solicitors, please do get in touch by calling 0208 889 3319 or via one of the options below.

The first introductory call is free and enables you to outline your circumstances and for us to explain how we can help. Our team are friendly and approachable and are always happy to answer your questions.

If you have a question about our services, please use our online form to send us an email.

If you need to speak with someone you will always receive a friendly welcome if you telephone between the hours of 9am-5pm but if we are closed, you can  request a callback. We will call you back as near to your requested time as possible.

Common Questions: Child Arrangements Order

How can I sort out the arrangements for my children?

If you cannot agree arrangements for your children, you can make a separate application under the Children Act 1989. This is known as a Child Arrangements Order. This has replaced the Orders that were formerly known as Residence and Contact Orders.

What arrangements can I ask the Court to deal with?

The Order can deal with both the living arrangements for the child and also set out the arrangements for the child to spend time with the other parent. This could be in the form of direct (face to face) contact but it can also cover contact by letter, email or telephone.

Who can apply for a Child Arrangements Order?

If you are the child’s mother or father you are automatically entitled to apply. Other people may need to first obtain the Court’s permission.

When can I apply for a Child Arrangements Order?

Unless certain limited circumstances apply to your case, you would first need to satisfy the Court that your dispute cannot be solved through family mediation. This means that you would have to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM). The mediator will then consider the circumstances of your case and make the appropriate recommendation.

How can I apply for a Child Arrangements Order?

You will need to submit the correct form to the Court together with your form showing that you have either attempted or are exempt from participating in mediation. The Court will then send a copy of your application to the other parent and list the case for a first hearing. This first hearing is known as a First Hearing Dispute Resolution Appointment (FHDRA).

How will the Court decide my case?

The Court will consider the circumstances of each case individually to ensure that any Order would be in the child’s best interests. In determining whether an Order would be in the child’s best interests, the Court will have regard to certain factors collectively referred to as the ‘Welfare Checklist’. This includes factors such as the child’s physical, emotional and educational needs. Where possible, the Court will also have regard to the child’s own expressed wishes and feelings.

How much will I have to pay to make an application?

We can represent you at the FHDRA (First Hearing) for £499.00 (exc. vat). Please note that there will also be a Court issue fee of £215.00 although you may qualify for a fee exemption.

Please note that there may be more hearings and work to complete beyond the First Hearing Dispute Resolution Appointment. This would not be covered by the initial fixed fee. However, if necessary, we would be happy to discuss your case with you to work out the most appropriate fee arrangement going forward. Please note that we can represent you at further hearings from £499.00 (exc. vat).

You may qualify for Legal Aid if you have the gateway for this Private Law work.

Can the Court deal with any other matters concerning my child?

The Court can also deal with several other issues such as granting you permission to change your child’s surname or move abroad with them. The Court can also take steps to ensure that your ex-partner does not unlawfully remove your child from your care.